Encouraged by the tremendous participation of NEHS members and Advisors in the Poetry Challenge last year, we are in the midst of planning for a new writing challenge for the coming year—FLASH FICTION! Writers will be invited to submit “flash fiction,” adhering to a different form each month, including types like the six-word story, postcard fiction, and micro-fiction. Student members and Advisors are invited to submit various forms of flash fiction, including types such as the Six-Word Story, Postcard Fiction, and Micro-Fiction. Entries will be accepted by the first day of each month, starting in September with the Six-Word Story. More information and the submission form may be found on the Writing Challenge page of the NEHS website.
Submission Due Dates and Topics
- September 1, 2020 – Six-Word Stories
- October 1, 2020 – Dribbles, stories in exactly 50 words
- November 1, 2020 – Postcard Fiction, narratives written on actual postcards; the text must relate to the picture on the reverse side of the card.both sides must be inserted into the single document to be submitted; the written side may utilize the whole space available, but the writing must be legible. For this month only, handwritten entries are acceptable.
- January 1, 2021 – Drabbles, stories in exactly 100 words
- February 1, 2021 – Twitterature, stories utilizing no more than 280 characters, including spaces and punctuation
- March 1, 2021 – Micro-fiction, stories ranging from 100-200 words
- April 1, 2021 A return to the Six-Word Stories